Salary Assessment Unit

Question Answer

What are the requirements for submitting Salary Assessment application forms online?

  • Make sure you are using a Smart Form. Please click here for more information about smart forms
  • Electronic signatures are acceptable on the Applicant's and Principal's Declaration Sections.
  • Ensure all mandatory fields have been completed.
  • All pages must be certified.
  • All certified documents must be scanned in colour.
  • Ensure that each file you are attaching to the email is less than 10MB.
  • Your school must send the completed NOVO Form and required documents to

What is an Electronic signature?

In Applicant signature field, the full legal name of the applicant must be fill out. In the Principal's signature field, the full legal name of the Principal must be completed. (Their name must also be in the Name field).

Why do I need to get a NZQA report?

If your qualifications do not meet the criteria detailed on the overseas qualifications exempt list, we will require a NZQA report to assess the New Zealand equivalent of your overseas qualification which will determine your correct qualification group and entry salary step.

How do I know if my overseas qualification meets the criteria of being an exempt qualification?

Check the overseas qualification exempt list available on the NZQA website and the New Zealand Immigration website.

Where do I find the overseas qualification exempt lists?


Immigration NZ: (Go to Appendices, then to Appendix 3)

Why do I have to get all my documentation certified?

For all scanned or photocopied documentation to be deemed as good as the original copy, it must be certified by a reputable person (see question below). This also includes all documentation sent via email.

Who can certify my documents?

The Oaths and Declarations Act 1957 contains a list of people allowed to take declarations and includes:

  • Justice of the Peace (JP)
  • Barrister or Solicitor of the High Court
  • Registrar or Deputy Registrar of the court.

See Section 9. Oaths and Declarations Act 1957 for a list of people who are able to make such declarations.

Please note: We also accept certified true copies from school principals and police officers as long as their badge number is included on the certification details.

What must be on a certified copy to make it a true certified copy?

  • Written with the phrase "This document is a certified, true copy of the original"
  • Signed, and written with their name, title, and date clearly below their signature
  • Stamped with their school stamp if signed by the Principal

Can I send you black and white copies of my documentation?

Certified true copies must be scanned and emailed in colour. We cannot accept certified true copies that are scanned to us in black and white.

What is a Statement of Service?

It is a document confirming you were employed in an organisation and provides details regarding your employment which will be used in calculating the service credit you are claiming for.

What is required on a Statement of Service?

  • Description of service
  • A start date and end date (dd/mm/yyyy)
  • If the work was full time or part time
  • If part time service, the total hours or hours per week must be detailed in full
  • On an official letterhead
  • Signed by the writer

I am unable to provide a statement of service with the required information, what other document is acceptable in place of statement of service?

If the teacher, despite their best attempts, cannot provide a statement of service for their previous employment, they may provide a Statutory Declaration.

Important Note: All Statutory Declarations are to be approved by the Ministry of Education. The Salary Assessment Unit will forward your Statutory Declaration and supporting evidence to the Ministry of Education.

Where do I find a Statutory Declaration Form?

Can my Principal sign the Statutory Declaration?

No, as it is a legal document, it must be sighted and signed by a lawyer, Justice of the Peace, or Notary Public.

What do I write on my Statutory Declaration?

Statutory Declarations should include the following information:

  • The date the employment started (dd/mm/yyyy)
  • The date the employment ended (dd/mm/yyyy)
  • A description of the type of work done
  • Confirmation that the employment was full time or part time
  • If the employment was part time or casual, the number of hours per week worked or the total hours worked over the period of employment

What evidence shall I provide to support my Statutory Declaration?

The Ministry of Education will only accept Statutory Declarations if they are accompanied by corroborating evidence. This evidence may take the form of:

  • Pay slips
  • Letters of resignation
  • Offers of appointment
  • Salary increase notifications
  • Contracts
  • Tax Forms (as long as they clearly state the employer)
  • Letters from colleagues
  • References
  • Super scheme contribution notification
  • Any other appropriate documentation

I have sent in my application but have not heard anything yet.

We have 15 working days to look at your application, you should hear back from us within 16 days from the date of receipt.

My IRD number is not working to open my electronic letters.
If you have an 8 digit IRD number then you must put a "0" in front to make it 9 digits.

I do not know my MoE number.

You must talk to a NOVOPAY authorised person or the Principal of your school to get your MoE number.

I am due for my annual increment (increase in pay) do I have to do another NOVO7t?

No, it is up to your school to have you attested.

What grade and step might I be on?

We are unable to give you your grade and step until we have received and completed your application, but you may check your Collective agreement to give you an idea of what you may be assessed at.

Primary Schools

Go to Part 3 also check Appendix 6

Secondary Schools

Go to Part 4 also check Appendix A

Area Schools

Go to Part 3 also check Appendix 7

I don't have my graduation certificate yet. What other documentation can I provide as supporting evidence for my qualification?

You can provide an official letter from your education provider confirming the name of your qualification and the date you became eligible to graduate.

Related links


Salary Assessment Unit page