Salary Changes

Question Answer
Who inputs salaries? The Education Payroll Service Centre sets up a new employee's salary. They use the details on the NOVO1 or NOVO1nt form sent in by the school.
When the administrator's salary changes can we do it online or do we have to send a signed form? Changes to non-teacher's salaries can be done online, but please remember authorised users can't change their own details (this is an audit requirement).
Can the Education Payroll Service Centre alter instructions without the school knowing, for example if an employee is on ACC leave? No, with one exception. The Education Payroll Service Centre has authority to change the leave type from ACC leave to sick leave, if ACC advises the claim was declined or never received.
Are stop pays available, and are they on a Tuesday? Stop payments are available on the Tuesday before the payday. But please contact the Education Payroll Service Centre as soon as possible if anything is incorrect so that something can be done about it before the final pay run.
What happens with service based payments? Novopay automatically processes payments for eligible staff.

Changing Details

Question Answer
When a transaction is submitted where and how can we view it? You can see the transaction in your draft SUE reports and the Transaction report.
Can the Principal make changes and the administrator send it? The Principal is an authorised user and can make changes which another authorised user can then send, providing neither party is making or sending changes to their own details (there are separate procedures for updating your own details).
On the timesheet entry where can we put the department code, not just the funding code? In the drop down menu you will see a description rather than codes. Your selection incorporates both funding and department codes.
When we change employment details can we save without submitting? Yes. You can save without submitting - in fact it's important to save regularly as entries will be lost if the screen is idle for over 5 minutes.
When you validate an entry you are prompted to submit/post it but don't have to - if you don't submit your work is saved for later, but you need to have a good internal process to ensure the work is posted before cut-off.
Can we enter and change work patterns (rosters) for non-teaching staff in Novopay Online? No. You can't do this online. You need to complete a NOVO2nt form, send a copy to the Education Payroll Service Centre and keep the original for your school records.
How does the Education Payroll Service Centre contact us if they need more information? They will contact you by email.
In the address update screen is the postcode linked to a postcode finder? You can use the 'look up' for a list of valid postcodes and you can also search by suburb.

Emergency Details

Question Answer
How do we put emergency contact details into Novopay Online and is it mandatory?

It is not mandatory to put emergency details into Novopay Online, but it is best practice to have these details. Using Novopay is an ideal time to collect up-to-date information from all your staff.

To enter emergency contact details go to the My HR tab, select Personal Details then Personal Contacts. You can enter as many contacts as you wish and you can do it in batches to suit your work load.

Job Numbers

Question Answer
How are job numbers allocated? All employees are allocated the first available job number, irrespective of the employment agreement.

New Employees

Question Answer
How do we enter employees who are complex to set up - for instance higher duties or foreign language assistants? The new hire process applies for all new employees. The Education Payroll Service Centre can help you with complex queries.
Do we have to print out forms to get new employees signatures for our records? The process has not changed. You need a signed form (NOVO1t or NOVO1nt) in your records so you have the employee's authorisation to make changes - this is good HR practice.
Do we need to send a signed form when we employ a new staff member?

New hires can't be done online. You need to download and complete a NOVO1t or NOVOnt form, get it signed and send it to the Education Payroll Service Centre.

To send it either:
1. An authorised user emails a scanned copy of the form and the school keeps the original on file,
2. If you don't have a scanner, mail in a copy of the signed form and keep the original for your records.